Tuesday, October 28, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 191

I’ve previously written of my bread making passion. There’s something simple, primal, existential, magical even, in taking flour, water, salt and yeast, and producing a beautiful, delicious loaf. Pure delight. Last Tuesday an email from darling Meg simply said ‘Here is this, which I haven't watched, but thought you might like to: http://www.thedolectures.com/speakers/andrew-whitley’. I clicked the link last Saturday. I’m so glad I did. It’s an hour lecture by Andrew Whitley, whom I’d never heard of, explaining why mass-produced bread is terrible, and exhorting everyone to make their own. He speaks humbly of the joyful celebration of bread baking, the privilege of sharing bread we bake, and the empowerment of knowing exactly what is, and isn’t, in it. His case is unimpeachable. I was riveted. I’ve ordered his book, Bread Matters, from the library, and I’ve signed up to The Real Bread Campaign. In late August, darling Emily attended a bread making course. Two weeks ago I was honoured to see her make then bake her first loaf (pictured). She’s a natural. I watched in awe as she mixed then worked the dough, and later formed up her loaf. Having the bread fanatic dad she has, she’s now kitted out with bread baking gear. Thank you, darling Meg and Emily. Sorry I can’t write more – I’m so excited I must mix up some dough.

3 comments:

Meg said...

dear people at blogger - hurry up and invent smelloblogs. i bet that loaf smells amazing..

Meg said...

Last night we watched Alastair McIntosh's video. Really worth watching too if you have the time.

Meg said...

Saw this and thought of you. xx