Wednesday, October 8, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 171

As I’m a list-man with more than a passing preoccupation with my death – the very first Farmdoc’s Blog post concerned death – naturally I loved the film The Bucket List which I watched last Saturday night. Add to the recipe two top-rate actors – Jack Nicholson (age 71 ) and Morgan Freeman (age 71 ) and you’ll understand why I rated it five stars out of five. Nicholson plays a billionaire tycoon, and Freeman a motor mechanic with Barry Jones-like general knowledge. Both have cancer, and they meet when sharing a 2-bed hospital room. Each has a prognosis of 6-12 months, jointly they construct an eponymous list of things they want to do before they kick the bucket, and together they set out to do, then cross off, each list item. The forgettable storyline is overwhelmed by the growing bond of friendship between the two men, and how Nicholson’s character, who has money but little else, is changed by Freeman’s character, who has profound self-understanding despite his menial job and comparative poverty. But for me the film’s highlight is Freeman’s voice-over narration. He’s a master at it indeed I can’t think of anyone better. The Shawshank Redemption and Million Dollar Baby come quickly to mind. I’m sure there’ve been others, and I hope there’ll be more to come. Bravissimi, old guys. You’re an inspiration.

1 comment:

Meg said...

And you are an old guy who is an inspiration to us! xx