Tuesday, September 30, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 163

I think I’m determined; you think I’m pigheaded. I think I’m fastidious; you think I’m pernickety. The difference is in the nuance, the perception, the context. Here in northern Tasmania, the Meander Dam was recently completed; and a spinoff is some irrigation pipelines of which each requires planning approval. An environmentalist lodged a planning objection because the first pipeline would have irrigated land already degraded by salination, and thus wasted precious water better used elsewhere. He lost the objection. A local member of the State Parliament, a so-called Independent and a Vietnam Veteran, labelled the objection frivolous, obstructionist and ideologically-based; and demanded the planning process be streamlined. To me this reeks of populism and even fascism. I believe the checks and balances of a modern society comprise essential public scrutiny of government decisions – to ensure those decisions are transparent and soundly-based, and the resultant expenditure is a wise and effective use of public money. I see the public’s participation in the planning process as an inalienable right and duty. It’s not red tape; it’s due democratic process. But there are those who think they know better than the People. How dare they. They are detestable know-alls. No, they are insightless know-nothings. And if they are members of parliament they should be voted out post-haste – which of course is the ultimate use of democratic power.

No comments: