Monday, September 1, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 134

Shelley wrote ‘O, wind, if winter comes, can spring be far behind?’ In Australia, Spring begins today. Spring is a time of renewal, new growth, hope and, of course, spring cleaning. Part of all this is a taking stock of recent failures, shortcomings and achievements – with an eye to the future. So I’ve been thinking about me: what I have and haven’t done, and what I will and won’t do. And I’ve been metaphorically putting myself in the shoes of my nearest and dearest – wife, daughters, daughters’ partners, grandchildren – to appreciate what problems and challenges they’ve faced and are facing, and what they’ve achieved. I’ve found that they’ve each faced many more difficulties than I have, and their difficulties have been bigger than mine. But vastly more importantly, they’ve each achieved much despite, or due to, their problems and challenges. I always marvel whenever anyone does the best they can. Whether it’s on a world scale or in a small pre-school group, matters nought. Given our unique genetics and environmental influences, each of us has a different potential; the maximum we can aspire to is our best. I won’t embarrass anyone by going into specifics, but I can’t imagine more beautiful chickens than the Daylesford Organics beauties pictured above. Shelley, an ardent vegetarian, would have loved the eggs from these girls.

1 comment:

farmdoc said...

The photo of the hens looks really good when it's enlarged to take up most of the screen. All you have to do is to left click on the photo itself. Well done, Daylesford Organics.