Wednesday, August 27, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 129

When it comes to the supernatural, I’m a definite sceptic. Nonetheless it’s interesting how often coincidences occur (a coincidence being a chance occurrence, i.e. not one that’s preordained by something, or someone, outside nature). For example, in my work I often get a run of people whose injuries are similar and/or sustained similarly; or on the same day two of my patients have the same surname but aren’t relatives. I’m currently thinking about such things because I’m reading Duma Key – the latest novel by Stephen King (pictured). In a workplace accident its main character sustains a brain injury and an amputation of his (non-dominant) right arm. These injuries enable him to paint pictures depicting past events he knows nothing about, or predicting – and indeed determining – future events. Ergo we’re talking supernatural here – not coincidence. Gradually he comes to realise his accident was no accident, but rather it was preordained so he could gain his supernatural painting ability. My dictionary defines an accident as an event that happens suddenly without an apparent cause. Most events that are called accidents have a determinable cause, so they aren’t true accidents. Presumably the remainder are chance occurrences, i.e. coincidences. Or are they? (P.S. On the day I began reading Duma Key, darling Abby emailed me a film recommendation: Man on Wire. The second main character in Duma Key is Jerome Wireman.)

No comments: