Tuesday, August 12, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 114

A Rake’s Progress is a series of eight paintings by 18th Century English artist William Hogarth, illustrating the decline of a Tom Rakewell. The Rake’s Progress is an Igor Stravinsky opera based loosely on Hogarth’s paintings which Stravinsky saw in 1947; and also a 1945 film starring Rex Harrison and nothing about Rakewell, and 1975 and 1994 films of Stravinsky’s opera. My rake’s progress has seen its handle progressively decline. Since 1990 my rake has served me wonderfully, on our Deloraine property up to 2002 and then here in Mole Creek. Three years ago I backed my ATV over its handle. Fancy doing that to a trusty friend. So rather than discard my friend, I bought a new handle: a thick, strong one. I whittled down an end to fit the rake’s head, and I fastened it strongly with a nut and bolt. Then I worked my rake harder – on gravel, hardened earth, even rocks. But it told me it didn’t like harder work, because its handle kept breaking where it inserted into the head. Three or four times it’s happened, latest last week. The handle, though shorter these days, still has length to spare. But I’ve listened to my rake, so in future I’ll work it less hard. That should ensure we stay friends for years to come - and that together we’ll rake well.

2 comments:

WriterBee said...

would this rake be related to the farmer's favourite old axe that's had three new heads and five new handles but is still going strong?

farmdoc said...

I went and asked my rake, Writerbee, and the reply is that he's no relation to that axe because he hasn't lost his head but the axe has. He thanks you for asking, however. (What a polite rake he is.)