Tuesday, August 5, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 107

On darling Meg’s Land of Meg blog, a recent post was about Philippe Petit who in 1974 walked on a high-wire stretched between the twin towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan. It scared me to watch the footage; but if Mr Petit was scared he didn’t show it. It’s the balance, of course. A well-developed sense of balance makes all the difference. My life is more sedate than Mr Petit’s, but I too strive for balance. For example giving our darling children the right degree of financial help, eating the right amount of food, making the right-sized donations to worthy causes, ordering the right number of library books. Clearly the issue is the definition of right in each situation. I’ll never get it spot on, but I’m conscious of the need for balance in all these things; and others. Which brings me to work-life balance. Until 1998 my work-life balance was tilted towards work. Now it’s generally right, but lately I’ve felt the need to ease up on my work. So I’m not working in the clinic for a week – from yesterday to next Monday. Naturally I’ve made a list of things to do. I am excited. And feeling balanced. As darling Emily should be too, because she’s off work this week attending the Melbourne International Film Festival. Good for us, Em.

No comments: