Sunday, July 13, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 84

In 1976 Ivan Illich’s famous book Medical Nemesis: the Expropriation of Health was published. Though then a 29-year-old university lecturer researching my PhD thesis, I had never before come across the word nemesis. Nemesis was the Greek goddess of vengeance and retribution. Derivatively, nowadays nemesis is a term used to describe one’s worst enemy. In my work I have three medical nemeses: One an occupational physician whose physical examination findings rarely agree with mine. Another a surgeon who considers himself an expert on impairment assessment using the American Medical Association’s Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, yet frequently the impairment percentages I assess are quite different from his. And the third a neurosurgeon who often recommends surgery when I perceive no reason to operate. What have these three nemeses in common? Firstly they all live and mainly work in Melbourne, so their Tasmanian work is occasional. That’s okay by me. Secondly, judging by their reports they all are opinionated, arrogant, and dismissive of criticism. Whilst that's not okay by me, my worry is that a nemesis is said to be someone that's the opposite of oneself but also in some respects similar. What you least like about yourself is what you most dislike in others. Therefore maybe in future I’ll be more benevolent and charitable toward these three colleagues. Or not.

No comments: