Thursday, July 3, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 74

Okay, so I’m ignorant. I admit it. Until last Tuesday I’d never heard of the Victorian of the Year [VOTY] award. I can’t name one past winner. The Victoria Day Council, which apparently decides the winner, is unknown to me. I don’t know any of its members’ names. I can’t tell you when Victoria Day is, or even if it exists. Ignorant I may be, but relieved too, because Google doesn’t enlighten me about any of these unknowns – though Wikipedia says the VOTY is not the Victorian Recipient in the Australian of the Year awards. But whatever the VOTY award is, commonsense dictates that the recipient be a person of stature who is prominent in solving the economic, social and environmental problems that the State of Victoria faces. But no. This year’s receiver is an entertainer, and indeed a 69-year-old has-been. Well past it. Best years long gone. Little to contribute in future. A sweet and decent man, I concede. But a role model for Victorian citizens? Hardly. What was the Victoria Day Council thinking of? But at least they gave the Young Victorian of the Year award to a key organiser of the Make Poverty History campaign's 2005 concert, which was the largest youth-run event ever held in Australia. That's more like it.

No comments: