Sunday, June 1, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 42

In my 25 May 2008 blog post I wrote about my Sherlockian heritage and my quasi-forensic work. I, like Holmes before me, am fascinated by the continuum of pure truth through embroidered truth across to the factitious and then the frankly fraudulent. So a fortnight ago I was figuratively salivating as I settled down to watch Forbidden Lie$, a 2007 Australian documentary featuring Norma Khouri who wrote the book Forbidden Love – about the honour killing in Jordan of her Muslim friend because she dated a Christian. Khouri pitched her story as autobiographical, but journalists exposed it as fiction concocted from a newspaper snippet. And unsurprisingly they unearthed Khouri’s past as a con artist. I asked my sweetheart Vivienne, an accomplished writer, if and how non-fiction can be altered to protect the protagonists’ privacy. She said details can be changed though the author must document what was done and why; however the narrative’s integrity must be preserved. Khouri was not a participant in her story; she had left Jordan years beforehand. Does she care? The book became a best seller, and Khouri – to quote Liberace – cried all the way to the bank. After my discussion with Vivienne, I thought I had the difference between fiction and non-fiction sorted. Then last week my good friend Annie gave me a gift – a memoir titled Farming is Fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

But one of the real tragedies in all this is that dishonor killings do happen in Jordan, and pretty much as Norma described in her book. It seems that fact may have been lost in all the brouhaha.

Ellen R. Sheeley, Author
"Reclaiming Honor in Jordan"