Sunday, May 18, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 28

It is still autumn; and autumn is still – at least here in Mole Creek it is. The last time any wind bothered my anemometer was over a week ago. This still autumn weather brings fog. And foggy it was last Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. On my way to work, standing on the bridge shutting the front gate, I peered down through the mist and saw in the creek a sleek platypus, frolicking, splashing, diving. Savouring the moment I stood there, entranced, feeling privileged to be witnessing this show, to be the only audience member. Ah, the rural life. I drove on to work elated. Not deflated as I felt later the same day when inspecting the excavations perpetrated on the earth bank in front of our house. Ten or twelve holes, shallow but unsightly. At first I thought the culprit was a bandicoot, but then I espied rabbit droppings. Gotcha. I stood there feeling miffed, insulted even. But then I realised that this rabbit was just going about its business, doing what a rabbit does. Just as that platypus was doing what a platypus does. When I came to live on this land I invaded their habitat; they didn’t invade mine. So why did the platypus elate me and the rabbit deflate me? I haven’t the foggiest.

No comments: