Friday, April 25, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 5

Four Seasons is the shirt that made Gloweave a household brand name. It is also, some say, the most-recorded piece of classical music. It is the name of a chain of hotels though I have never stayed in one. And it is a brand of condoms and other adult paraphernalia, but believe me I only found this out courtesy of Google. Here in rural northern Tasmania where I live, the four seasons are so distinct that you can go to bed one night in one season and wake up the next morning in the next. If you were to ask me which is my favourite season here, I would think for several seconds, I would rub my chin pensively, and I would tell you I like all four. But then I would blurt out that I love autumn the most. Autumn where I live is cool, dewy and at times misty mornings – and similar twilights. It is carpets of crunchy golden sycamore leaves. It is lush green pasture. It is wispy curls of smoke from wood-heater flues. It is the signal to tilt up the solar panels since the sun is lower in the sky these days. And it is the time to plant the onions and garlic before the soil cools. Yes, Mole Creek in autumn is the place to be.

1 comment:

Adam for all Seasons said...

Hey Doc, I love Winter. I'm a biog fan of soup. Soup in a mug!

I'm also a big fan of change so any movement fro one to the next if fine by me.